This website courtesy of
 Volkert Services

House

Now a National Landmark

Article about the house

Anthony Colby

More house pictures

Wedding

Other homes

Captain's Well

Golgotha Stone

Please browse through the pictures, and enjoy your virtual trip to the home site of all of us Colby Cousins! Let me know what you think of the site and pictures.

Alice Colby Volkert

Website courtesy of Volkert Services

ANTHONY COLBY, HIS HOME
AND GEOGRAPHIC AREA

This is the house as it used to look. The sign is in front of the house to help you identify it as you drive along Main St.

OCCUPANTS

Anthony Colby (September 1605 - 11 February 1661) was the son of Thomas and Anne Jackson Colby, born in Horbling, Lincolnshire, England. He came with the Winthrop Fleet in 1630. He married Susannah, Widow Waterman, probably in Boston in 1632. They had eight children. He was a planter. His first home was in the disputed territory between Cambridge and Watertown which was given to Cambridge in 1632, and was on the road to Mount Auburn close by the river. Anthony built a second house near the Washington Elm and a third one near the Fresh Pond. He was admitted freeman in Cambridge in 1634. Three years later, he appeared in Ipswich, and three years after that in Salisbury. He was among the first settlers of the latter town. He built in what is now Amesbury, Jarrett Haddon bought the lot adjoining and came with his family. On this land Anthony and Susannah settled to make a permanent home. He received additional lots of land from the divisions in 1643, 1654, and 1658. In 1640, he was appointed an appraiser for the government and in 1651 was elected a selectman. He purchased the house and land west of the Ferry Road from Thomas Macy in 1654. At the time of the sale, Macy had need of funds to flee to Nantucket to escape the penalty of sheltering two Quakers during a thunderstorm

Susannah (possibly 1616 - 8 July 1689) was three times a widow. She lived in the Macy-Colby house until her death. Her maiden name and parents are not known; but it is highly likely that she was Jarrett Haddon's sister. She had to defend her homestead against the claim of Thomas Macy from whom it had been purchased; but later he denied the sale and tried to expel the widow by legal process. He was unsuccessful. In 1678, her son Thomas was deeded half of all the lands remaining in consideration of services rendered the widow, and in 1682, the remaining homestead was deeded to her son Samuel, who cared for her during the infirmities of old age.

Samuel (10 August 1638 - 2 July 1716) was the son of Anthony and Susannah Colby. He married Elizabeth Sargent, probably in 1667 and they had five children. He owned and operated an inn at Bartlett's Corner and purchased the remaining property from his mother to provide funds for her support. He fought in King Phillip's War, in the Falls Fight under Captain Turner and in 1696 helped bury Captain Turner after the Deerfield Massacre. In 1686, he was prosecuted for selling drink without a license, but was acquitted. In 1689, he was a representative to the General Court of Massachusetts and in 1696 was chosen assessor of his native town.

Samuel (9 March 1671 - 1746 ) was a son of Samuel and Elizabeth Sargent Colby. He married Dorothy Ambrose, probably in 1693. They had eleven children. He was a yeoman. He inherited the property from his father in 1716. As Samuel Colby of Amesbury, son of Samuel Colby, deceased, he petitioned the General Court of Massachusetts for a grant of land west of the Connecticut River in Massachusetts for the services of his father in King Philip's War; the petition was not granted.

Obadiah (15 July 1706 - 2 October 1749) was a son of Samuel and Dorothy Ambrose Colby. He married Elizabeth Gee 22 April 1728 and they had five children. He had been living in Boston; but returned to Amesbury and purchased the property from his father.

Obadiah (1731 - 29 December 1814) was a son of Obadiah and Elizabeth Gee Colby. He married Mary Merrill 16 December 1756 and they had eight children. He was a blacksmith be trade. When he inherited the property, the original house was gone; only the foundation remained. He built the house that exists today on that foundation.

Hezekiah (31 August 1770 - 28 August 1844) was a son of Obadiah and Mary Merrill Colby. He did not marry, and on his death he left the Macy-Colby house property to his brother. Hezekiah was a schoolmaster.

William (9 October 1775 - 12 February 1850) was a son of Obadiah and Mary Merrill Colby. He married first Molly Currier 14 May 1797 and they had three children. She died and he married Mary Long 5 July 1805 and they had five children. He was a mariner.

Obadiah (12 October 1811 - 8 September 1892) was the son of Captain William and Mary Long Colby. He married Mary Ann Patten 29 October 1848. They had seven children. He was a trader.

William (6 October 1851 - 28 Mar 1909) was the son of Obadiah and Mary Ann Patten Colby. He was a trimmer. He married Helen Currier Morrill 13 March 1875. They had two sons: Edwin Irving and Howard Leslie. He sold the land to the Bartlett Cemetery Association and the house to his Uncle Moses.

Moses Long (February 1822 - 1901) was the son of Captain William and Mary Long Colby. He purchased it from his nephew, William and resided there with his brother (Obadiah) and nephew (William) He donated it to the Bartlett Cemetery Association as a memorial. In 1899 or 1900, Moses Colby presented the original family homestead, known as the Macy - Colby House, to the Bartlett Cemetery Association. Before turning the property over, he made extensive repairs to the house. He put in sills, new floors, and the roof was reshingled. Also, the chimney was rebuilt and the hearths in the old fireplaces were restored.