Anthony Colby (September 1605 - 11 February 1661) was the son
of Thomas and Anne Jackson Colby, born in Horbling, Lincolnshire,
England. He came with the Winthrop Fleet in 1630. He married
Susannah, Widow Waterman, probably in Boston in 1632. They had eight
children. He was a planter. His first home was in the disputed
territory between Cambridge and Watertown which was given to
Cambridge in 1632, and was on the road to Mount Auburn close by the
river. Anthony built a second house near the Washington Elm and a
third one near the Fresh Pond. He was admitted freeman in Cambridge
in 1634. Three years later, he appeared in Ipswich, and three years
after that in Salisbury. He was among the first settlers of the
latter town. He built in what is now Amesbury, Jarrett Haddon bought
the lot adjoining and came with his family. On this land Anthony and
Susannah settled to make a permanent home. He received additional
lots of land from the divisions in 1643, 1654, and 1658. In 1640, he
was appointed an appraiser for the government and in 1651 was elected
a selectman. He purchased the house and land west of the Ferry Road
from Thomas Macy in 1654. At the time of the sale, Macy had need of
funds to flee to Nantucket to escape the penalty of sheltering two
Quakers during a thunderstorm
Susannah (possibly 1616 - 8 July 1689) was three times a
widow. She lived in the Macy-Colby house until her death. Her maiden
name and parents are not known; but it is highly likely that she was
Jarrett Haddon's sister. She had to defend her homestead against the
claim of Thomas Macy from whom it had been purchased; but later he
denied the sale and tried to expel the widow by legal process. He was
unsuccessful. In 1678, her son Thomas was deeded half of all the
lands remaining in consideration of services rendered the widow, and
in 1682, the remaining homestead was deeded to her son Samuel, who
cared for her during the infirmities of old age.
Samuel (10 August 1638 - 2 July 1716) was the son of Anthony
and Susannah Colby. He married Elizabeth Sargent, probably in 1667
and they had five children. He owned and operated an inn at
Bartlett's Corner and purchased the remaining property from his
mother to provide funds for her support. He fought in King Phillip's
War, in the Falls Fight under Captain Turner and in 1696 helped bury
Captain Turner after the Deerfield Massacre. In 1686, he was
prosecuted for selling drink without a license, but was acquitted. In
1689, he was a representative to the General Court of Massachusetts
and in 1696 was chosen assessor of his native town.
Samuel (9 March 1671 - 1746 ) was a son of Samuel and
Elizabeth Sargent Colby. He married Dorothy Ambrose, probably in
1693. They had eleven children. He was a yeoman. He inherited the
property from his father in 1716. As Samuel Colby of Amesbury, son of
Samuel Colby, deceased, he petitioned the General Court of
Massachusetts for a grant of land west of the Connecticut River in
Massachusetts for the services of his father in King Philip's War;
the petition was not granted.
Obadiah (15 July 1706 - 2 October 1749) was a son of Samuel
and Dorothy Ambrose Colby. He married Elizabeth Gee 22 April 1728 and
they had five children. He had been living in Boston; but returned to
Amesbury and purchased the property from his father.
Obadiah (1731 - 29 December 1814) was a son of Obadiah and
Elizabeth Gee Colby. He married Mary Merrill 16 December 1756 and
they had eight children. He was a blacksmith be trade. When he
inherited the property, the original house was gone; only the
foundation remained. He built the house that exists today on that foundation.
Hezekiah (31 August 1770 - 28 August 1844) was a son of
Obadiah and Mary Merrill Colby. He did not marry, and on his death he
left the Macy-Colby house property to his brother. Hezekiah was a schoolmaster.
William (9 October 1775 - 12 February 1850) was a son of
Obadiah and Mary Merrill Colby. He married first Molly Currier 14 May
1797 and they had three children. She died and he married Mary Long 5
July 1805 and they had five children. He was a mariner.
Obadiah (12 October 1811 - 8 September 1892) was the son of
Captain William and Mary Long Colby. He married Mary Ann Patten 29
October 1848. They had seven children. He was a trader.
William (6 October 1851 - 28 Mar 1909) was the son of Obadiah
and Mary Ann Patten Colby. He was a trimmer. He married Helen Currier
Morrill 13 March 1875. They had two sons: Edwin Irving and Howard
Leslie. He sold the land to the Bartlett Cemetery Association and the
house to his Uncle Moses.
Moses Long (February 1822 - 1901) was the son of Captain
William and Mary Long Colby. He purchased it from his nephew, William
and resided there with his brother (Obadiah) and nephew (William) He
donated it to the Bartlett Cemetery Association as a memorial. In
1899 or 1900, Moses Colby presented the original family homestead,
known as the Macy - Colby House, to the Bartlett Cemetery
Association. Before turning the property over, he made extensive
repairs to the house. He put in sills, new floors, and the roof was
reshingled. Also, the chimney was rebuilt and the hearths in the old
fireplaces were restored.